March 18, 2012

From Nana's Kitchen - Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Growing up I constantly watched my mother cook and bake, and I helped out as often as possible.  One invaluable tip that I learned from watching my mom in the kitchen was how to supplement ingredients and change recipes when needed.  And that is probably why I have such a hard time following a recipe without making my own adjustments.  To this day, I'm still learing from her and calling her every time I need culinary advise or help with a recipe.

This past weekend we had my in-laws over for a triple birthday celebration (for Big-A, Lil-J and I) and I had it in my mind that I would bake gluten-free cupcakes for Lil-J, and a red velvet cake for the rest of us.  I had all the ingredients to make a homemade cream cheese frosting and sent hubby out to find the cake mix.  After a failed search for red velvet cake mix at our local grocery store, I was left with chocolate cake and cream cheese frosting...not exactly a match made in heaven!  I also had very little time to make any major changes to the dessert menu.  What to do?!

So I picked up the phone and called mom, asking her what I could do to fix my frosting fiasco.  I quickly wrote down her instructions, and made one of the best batches of homemade frosting that I have ever tasted!  I could eat the entire bowl with a spoon, it's that good!  And here it is:

Nana's Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:
1 250g package of plain cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Directions:
  1. Cream the cream cheese and butter together until you have a smooth consistency.
  2. Add the vanilla and milk, and mix until combined.
  3. Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
  4. 1 cup at a time, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, beating until combined.
  5. If the frosting is too thick, add milk 1 tsp at a time until you have the desired consistency.  If the frosting is too wet, add icing sugar 1 tsp at a time until you have the desired consistency.
  6. Refrigerate in a covered bowl or container until 30 minutes before you're ready to use.  Allow to soften at room temperature 30 mins before spreading onto a cake or cupcakes.

This super creamy frosting spreads perfectly onto cake.

TO. DIE. FOR.

This frosting is very creamy, chocolatey, and has a delicious tanginess from the cream cheese.  It's a perfect match for any cake flavour.  And if you're at all intimidated by the thought of making homemade buttercream frosting, this is an easy alternative!




DISCLAIMER: Not all the food products used in this recipe are certified "Gluten Free". I do, however, causiously check all food labels and Brand websites before making my gluten free desserts. If you have gluten allergy concerns,
I suggest you do the same.

2 comments:

Ella Pretty Blog said...

yum that looks so good - and simple too! I bought some ready-made cream cheese frosting the other day - it was NOT good, I'd rather make my own from now on :-)

Shauna MacKenzie said...

Oddly enough, I actually like store-bought frosting. But I know how bad it is, full of saturated fats and tons of other junk! This frosting certainly isn't easy on the waistline, but you know what's in it! I can't wait to make another batch, just to lick the bowl :)