Yesterday, while barbequing chicken for dinner, I decided to try out my own homemade BBQ sauce. I started searching online, checking out numerous recipes from numerous websites. After about the 20th recipe, I got the gist of the basic ingredients of a successful homemade BBQ sauce. I then got to work concocting my own creation, to finger-licking, lip-smackin' results!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (you can substitite with any vinegar)
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
- Blend all ingredients until the sauce is smooth. Yeilds approximately 500mL.
- Brush sauce over any meat, 5 minutes before removing the meat from the grill.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. I can guarantee it won't last that long, though!
I always looked forward to eating BBQ growing up - my dad always made the best homemade BBQ sauce. I can't wait for him to try mine, I think he'll be impressed! Try it yourself and you just may never buy store-bought BBQ sauce again!
1. Save empty store-bought BBQ sauce bottles. Wash and dry thoroughly, and you will have the perfect bottle for your own homemade BBQ sauce.
2. Play around with the ingredients - that's how I developed my own recipe! Add more molasses for sweetness, some HP Sauce for a smoky flavour, or more dry spices for a zesty flavour.
3. If you're not concerned about gluten, add 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce to the mix. Delish!
DISCLAIMER: Not all food products used in this recipe are certified "Gluten Free". I do, however, causiously check all food labels and Brand websites before making my gluten free desserts. If you have gluten allergy concerns,
I suggest you do the same.