July 12, 2011

Not Just For Breakfast... Chex Gluten Free Cereal Now In Canada!

Definition of Celiac Disease: A medical condition in which the absorptive surface of the small intestine is damaged by gluten.  This results in an inability of the body to absorb nutrients: protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, which are necessary for good health.
SOURCE: Canadian Celiac Association, http://www.celiac.ca/

It seems that more and more these days, I hear of people being diagnosed with celiac disease.  According to the Canadian Celiac Association, approximately 1 in 133 Canadians are affected.  My cousin suffers from celiac disease.  My brother has recently discovered that he has an intolerance to gluten, and has started following a gluten-free diet.  This is a serious condition that can have terrible effects on a person's body and lifestyle.  Unfortunately, there is no cure for celiac.  But following a gluten-free diet can help eliminate discomfort and can lead to a healthy lifestyle.



I was thrilled to recently receive a package from Mom Central on behalf of General Mills, containing a box each of Chex Gluten Free Rice Cereal and Honey Nut Cereal, along with some other goodies.  These two flavours are now available in Canada.  I quickly opened each bag for a dry taste-test.  Any cereal that tastes good without milk is a winner in my books!  Both flavours are crunchy and delicious!  The boys quickly ran over and started reaching into the bag and they had a mini munch-fest of their own!





Here are some real-life Chex Gluten Free Cereal reviews from my own test kitchen, including a home video:
  • Big-A, age 6 – "It tastes good and it’s not mushy.  I hate mushy cereal..."  He went on for 30 minutes about his hatred for mushy cereal.  I’ll spare you the details!
  • Lil-J, age 2 – "Gooood!"  He then proceeded to drink all the milk and gobble up every last Chex.

My husband's co-worker has two young children with celiac disease (one also suffers from Juvenile Diabetes).  I sent a sample of each flavour for him to try.  He has a hard time finding delicious, affordable, easy breakfast options for his children.  Both his kids loved the cereal, and he will definitely buy it at the store!  And with only 110 calories and 2g of sugar per 1 cup serving of Chex Gluten Free Rice Cereal, it is an ideal choice for diabetics.

I also gave a sample to my brother.  His first comment was “I’ve bought gluten-free cereal in the past and it’s always mushy within minutes of adding milk.  I hope this doesn’t get mushy.”  I promised him that he would not be disappointed.  Besides the taste (delish!), the cereal stays ‘crunchy’ until the last bite!  His final verdict?  He’s a definite fan and will buy them for home!  And his response to the Chex website, featuring numerous gluten-free recipes?  “Sweet!”

Chex Gluten Free Cereal can be used in many different recipes.  Just take a look at the recipes on the Chex Canada website at http://www.chexcanada.com/ where you will find recipes and ideas for breakfast, lunch, snack time and dinner.

On an upcoming menu at my house?  Mini Mac & Cheese Cakes, Sweet n’ Salty Coconut Chicken, and Triple-Berry Mini Cheesecakes.  Cut the chicken into small pieces, serve on wood skewers and you will have a delicious ‘mini’ menu for any summer party!

Although my husband, children and I do not suffer from celiac disease, I would definitely purchase Chex Gluten Free Cereal for my family.  It tastes great, stays crunchy in milk and is a handy ingredient to have in the pantry for last-minute gluten-free recipes.

Chex Gluten Free Cereal can now be found in the cereal aisle of your local grocery store.  Give it a try and tell your family and friends about them!


I am participating in the Chex Gluten Free program by Mom Central Canada on behalf of General Mills.  I received a Chex gift pack and a gift card as a thank you for my participation.  The opinions on this blog are my own.

1 comment:

Slow Cooking Recipes said...

Thhank you for sharing this