- Native to South America, it is known as the ‘gold of the Incas’
- Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids – a perfect protein supplement for vegans and an ideal food for growing children
1 19oz can bean medley, rinsed well
1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Juice of one lime
½ cup olive oil
Salt & pepper
- Rinse the quinoa well in cold running water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and toss into a medium sized pot. Add the water and season with salt, or add the vegetable broth without adding salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then simmer on low heat until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and chop the vegetables. Toss them into a bowl and when the quinoa is done, add it as well. Add the beans, parsley, lemon and olive oil, season with salt and pepper and stir gently to combine all ingredients.
- Test for moisture and flavour, add more oil, salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve warm or cold with any meal. Makes approximately 16 cups of salad.
1. If you're serving cold, allow the salad to cool before placing in the fridge. This will prevent condensation and a mushy salad.
2. Store in a large Ziploc bag in your refrigerator. This makes travel to a friend's house or picnic easier, and leaves room in your fridge!
3. Add different beans, vegetables, herbs or spices to your salad.
4. Fill a whole wheat pita or soft tortilla, add grilled chicken and you have a delicious, healthy sandwich wrap.
|Quinoa salad packed in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator - perfect for small storage, or travelling!|
DISCLAIMER: Not all food products used in this recipe are certified "Gluten Free". I do, however, causiously check all food labels and Brand websites before making my gluten free desserts. If you have gluten allergy concerns,
I suggest you do the same.