If you've read my blog recipes in the past, you'll know that I love healthy, delicious, fast meals, especially during the busy work week. Now I'm not talking about takeout, soup & sandwiches, or the odd night that we eat cereal for dinner. I'm talking about good, homemade meals that you can make in a flash, with little preparation required. And I knew that Cavendish From The Farm potatoes would be a perfect addition to a quick family dinner.
While shopping at my local grocery store, I found all three types of Cavendish From The Farm potatoes available. I chose Rustic Reds because I love the taste red skinned potatoes. I was impressed with the nutritional ingredients, with the fat and sodium being much lower than in comparable frozen potatoes.
|New #CavendishFromTheFarm frozen potatoes!|
Deciding what to add the Rustic Reds to was easy - drumsticks and veggies on the side. Although I love roasting large cuts of meat and grilling steaks on the BBQ, I also love serving less expensive cuts of meat like drum sticks and chicken thighs. I purchased a package of 8 chicken drumsticks for $7.00, a great deal! Preparation was quick and easy, and the meal was delish!
Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Drumsticks
1 pkg (8-10) fresh chicken drumsticks (skin on or skinless, your choice)
2 cups milk
3 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 bag Cavendish From The Farm potatoes
1. Prepare the buttermilk by adding 3 tbsp white vinegar to 2 cups milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to sour and curdle.
2. Place fresh drumsticks in a large Ziplock bag, add salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder.
3. Pour buttermilk over the seasoned chicken, squeeze the air out the the bag and seal. Mix the drumsticks around in the buttermilk to coat. Place the bag in the refrigerator for no less than 30 minutes. You can prepare this in the morning and leave them to soak all day.
4. Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Remove the drumsticks from the bag and shake off any excess liquid. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes (or until the internal temperature reads 165 degrees).
5. Halfway through cooking the drumsticks, place a bag of Cavendish potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the drumsticks are cooked.
6. Serve with steamed vegetables or salad, enjoy!
And the results? The meal was delicious! The chicken drumsticks were juicy and the the boys gobbled up the potatoes instantly. What I love about these potatoes is that they really are a blank canvas. They can be served as is, or drizzled with olive oil and herbs for a perfect side dish. And I will definitely be using these Rustic Reds for my Almost Famous Roasted Potato Salad!
|Have all ingredients ready to go for a successful quick meal!|
|Get creative with different herbs or spices to flavour meats.|
|Chicken drumsticks marinating in spicy buttermilk!|
|Chop and wash veggies ahead.|
|I love red-skinned potatoes. And this preparation can't get any easier!|
|Marinated chicken drumsticks ready for roasting.|
|A delicous, complete meal perfect for a busy family on the go or a lazy Saturday night.|
It is possible to serve quick, healthy, delicious meals for your family without spending hours in the kitchen. Look for meals with just a little prep required, that cook without supervision. Get creative with flavours, using dried or fresh herbs, spices and homemade marinades, in order to keep simple meals interesting. And give Cavendish From The Farm frozen potatoes a try - you will be quick to add them to your weekly mealplan!
I am participating in the From The Farm blog tour by Mom Central Canada on behalf of Cavendish. I received compensation as a thank you for participating and sharing my honest opinion. As with every post that I write, the opinions on this blog are my own.