July 22, 2012

It's Not Easy Being...Lentils!


In the past, I had never given lentils much thought.  I had passed by the bags of colourful legumes in the grocery store numerous times but the thought of cooking them never appealed to me.  I didn't grow up eating them, and although I knew they were a healthy food that I should include in my diet, I had no clue what to do with them.

Then came this blog post by Listen To Lena!..http://www.listentolena.com/2012/05/love-your-lentils-why-because-theyre-delish.html and a few more after that introducing the Love Your Lentils campaign.  My love for Lena's blog and for Canadian Chef Extraordinare Michael Smith made me rethink adding lentils to my diet.  They're gluten-free, full of fibre, folate and iron (hello pregnant ladies out there!!), and Canada produces 67% of the world's lentils!!!  A 1/2 cup of cooked lentils will provide one serving of Grain Products as listed on Canada's Food Guide and it is recommended as an alternative to meat at least twice per week on the Health Canada website.

Last month, I found myself in the same grocery store aisle looking at the bags of colourful lentils.  I grabbed a bag of red lentils (PRODUCT OF CANADA, of course), and headed home.  After spending way too long online searching for recipes, I decided to try my own recipe using familiar flavours.  With fresh sage picked from my own garden, I excitedly served my first lentil dish with dinner that night.  I made the same recipe again tonight and the boys even ate it (I had to trick Lil-J into trying them but he did eat 5 spoonfuls!).  A definite success!


Red Lentils With Sage Butter

Ingredients:
1 cup dried red lentils
3 cups water
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
  1. Place lentils and water in a medium pot, add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.  When the water comes to a boil, turn the temperature down to low, place the cover on the pot and simmer until all water is evaporated, approximately 15 minutes.
  2. While lentils are cooking, place butter, chopped shallot and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat.  When butter starts to sizzle, add chopped sage and turn the temperature down to low until the shallots are soft and transluscent, about 2 minutes.
  3. Remove butter mixture from heat and stir in olive oil.  Set aside.
  4. Once lentils are fully cooked, gently stir in butter mixture using a wooden spoon, coating the lentils.  Serve immediately.

 
Butter, shallots and sage..the smell is irresistible!

Ready to eat!

I honestly almost licked this dish clean!





DISCLAIMER: Not all the food products used in this recipe are certified "Gluten Free". I do, however, causiously check all food labels and Brand websites before making my gluten free desserts. If you have gluten allergy concerns,
I suggest you do the same.

No comments: