January 13, 2011

Snack - Banana Muffins

Last night after the boys went to bed, I felt a sudden urge to bake.  I first thought of baking chocolate chip cookies, but instead I started flipping through my recipe collection.  I was pleased to find my favourite banana muffin recipe folded up on a small piece of paper.  I have been using my banana bread recipe to bake banana muffins lately, but they don't come out as light and fluffy as the ones I made long ago.  I raided my pantry and got started.

These delicious muffins are packed full of bananas and also contain yogurt, making them light and moist.  They are a perfect breakfast on-the-go and make an ideal school snack for your children (just don't add nuts!).  Your little monkeys will just love them!


Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups white flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted margarine
1 egg
4 tbsp plain or banana yogurt (one small container)
4 overripe bananas, mashed

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.  Stir in mashed bananas using a fork until you have a doughy mixture.  Don't over mix - there will be loose flour in the bowl.
  3. Cream sugar, melted margarine, egg and yogurt in a small bowl.  Add to banana mixture and combine using a spatula.
  4. Scoop batter into lined muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes.
  5. Allow to cool completely.  Store in a covered container at room temperature for one week.
  6. Recipe makes two dozen muffins.

My 5-year old loves them at school, and my toddler loves them at snack time.  They are just sweet enough, and are very filling.


*TIPS*
1. For a sweeter treat, add 1 cup of blueberries or 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter before baking.
2. Add 1 cup chopped walnuts for added protein.  Just make sure not to send these to school!
3. Add 1/4 cup of flax seed for an extra kick of fibre and omega-3.  You can also use whole wheat flour in the recipe in place of white flour.
4. For longer storage, place muffins in a freezer zip-bag and freeze for up to one month.


Click here for a printable version of this recipe!

No comments: