Canada's Food Guide Servings:
2 Grain Products (1 bagel)
1 Milk and Alternatives (50g of cheese)
You really can't choose a simpler school lunch for your child. I remember in the good old 'nutty' days, my mother would often send me to school with a plain bagel filled with creamy peanut butter. Paired with a banana and a carton of milk, and it was a well-balanced meal. We all know that peanuts are a huge no-no in schools, but there are other delicious options available. Let's get creative!
- Cinnamon raisin bagel with apple butter
- Sesame seed bagel with sliced white cheddar cheese (add sliced ham or turkey for some extra protein)
- Whole wheat bagel with plain or strawberry cream cheese
- Cheese bagel with vegetable cream cheese
- 12-grain bagel with any of the above toppings
1. To make this lunch even more fun for your little one, look for mini bagels at your local bakery or grocery store. Fill 3 of them with different flavours of cream cheese. Children like variety, especially when it comes to their food.
2. Add sliced bell peppers, a container of halved cherry tomatoes (leaving them whole can be a choking hazard to young children) or a piece of fruit to the lunch bag to make this meal complete.
What child wouldn't love a lunch like this? Lunch can be healthy. Lunch should be healthy.